Benzinga – by Akanksha Bakshi, Benzinga Editor.
On Friday, November 3rd, the U.S. stock markets closed higher on falling bond yields amid slowing job growth and rising unemployment, signaling a potential pause in the Fed’s rate hikes.
In economic data, U.S. job growth slowed with 150,000 new positions in October, falling short of the expected 180,000, while unemployment edged up to 3.9% and wage growth modestly increased.
The S&P 500 saw gains in most sectors, with real estate leading the charge, up 2.4%, while energy was the sole decliner, dropping over 1% amid falling oil prices.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average rose by 0.66% to 34,061.32, the S&P 500 increased by 0.98% to 4,358.34, and the Nasdaq Composite saw a 1.38% gain, ending the session at 13,478.28.
Asian Markets Today
- Japan’s Nikkei 225 ended Monday’s session up by 2.33% at 32,708.48, led by gains in the Precision Instruments, Electrical/Machinery, and Transport sectors.
- Australia’s S&P/ASX 200 rose 0.28%, closing the session at 6,997.40, led by gains in the Gold, Healthcare, and Consumer Discretionary sectors.
- China’s Shanghai Composite gained 0.91% to close the session at 3,058.41, and the Shenzhen CSI 300 was up 1.35%, closing at 3,632.61.
- Hong Kong’s Hang Seng Index climbed 1.57% and closed at 17,965.00.
Eurozone at 06:15 AM ET
- The European STOXX 600 index was down 0.11%.
- Germany’s DAX declined 0.24%.
- France’s CAC slid 0.35%.
- The U.K.’s FTSE 100 traded lower by 0.10%.
Commodities at 06:15 AM ET
- Crude Oil WTI was trading higher by 1.61% at $81.81/bbl, and Brent was up by 1.72% at $86.35/bbl.
- Natural Gas declined 3.44% to $3.394.
- Gold was trading lower by 0.26% at $1994.20, Silver gained 0.19% to $23.236, and Copper rose 0.99 to $3.7178.
US Futures at 06:15 AM ETDow futures were up 0.07%, S&P 500 futures gained 0.19%, while Nasdaq 100 Futures rose 0.25%.
Forex at 06:15 AM ET
The U.S. Dollar Index was down 0.11% to 104.91. USD/JPY was up 0.14% to 149/59, and AUD/USD slid 0.01% to 1.5367.
© 2023 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.
Read the original article on Benzinga
Get The App
Join the millions of people who stay on top of global financial markets with Investing.com.